August 26, 2014

Casey 2014 - Trip Planning

[Previous posts about previous trips, planning and history re: Casey and Parent in 2011 and 2012 can be found here, here, here, here, and here]

Back on topic; what haven't I seen, and what do I want to see, when I go back to Casey, Quebec to see the Cold War-era 2.5Km concrete airstrip, in the middle of nowhere, later in 2014?

National Air Photo Library Image
Casey Emergency Air Strip - 1964
(Full-size 50Mb)

topographic view of the above air photo (approximate)
atlas.gc.ca

Yellow Circle - Unknown

From what I've read, I believe the building in the yellow circle is a radio building of some sort; HF? VOR? UHF/VHF?.  It is at a high point of elevation, but I did not find the path up the hill but did try to bush-whack it unsuccessfully on my last visit. 

National Air Photo Library Image
Casey Emergency Air Strip - 1964


Red Circle - Domestic Site

A mess hall, quarters, and all the necessities of a base were stationed at this location.  I do not have a site plan of the area, so I'm not sure what all of the buildings were.  I do know from the last time that there are only foundations which remain.  At the south end of the base there is an underground water reservoir, I presume fed from a pumping station down by the water.

National Air Photo Library Image
Casey Emergency Air Strip - 1964

Aqua Circle - Unknown

I don't know what's there, but I presume it was some sort of radio building.  The elevation is lower than the yellow circle, but still a high point.  Again, I presume it is; HF, VOR or UHF/VHF.

National Air Photo Library Image
Casey Emergency Air Strip - 1964


Green Circle - Unknown

Not sure what this building was either; HF? VOR? UHF/VHF?

National Air Photo Library Image
Casey Emergency Air Strip - 1964
Bruno Gauthier took the following pictures of the remains of a building in the green circle above when he visited the site in 2013.

Photo Courtesy of Bruno Gauthier

Photo Courtesy of Bruno Gauthier

Photo Courtesy of Bruno Gauthier

Photo Courtesy of Bruno Gauthier

Pink Circle - Unknown

These two little buildings are near the water, and might have to do with pumping water, I'm not sure.

National Air Photo Library Image
Casey Emergency Air Strip - 1964


Blue Circle - Ammunition Magazine

Clearly, from the berms, and it's location beside the airstrip, this is a munitions storage magazine.  I believe from it's design it was intended for conventional not "special" munitions.

National Air Photo Library Image
Casey Emergency Air Strip - 1964





No comments:

Post a Comment