January 26, 2013

L65 6.5L Detroit Diesel Maintenance Schedule (Suburban)

My new-to-me Suburban has had a rough previous life, clearly.  Over fourteen years of use, I'm now noticing signs of previous repairs that weren't done right and botched maintenance.  Well, I haven't found anything yet that isn't repairable, but the other issue is, I simply don't know the vehicle's maintenance history.  What has, or hasn't been done?  When was the transmission fluid last changed?  I know the coolant has been changed (since I bought it with only water in the system) and I know the transfer case fluid has been changed (since there was no fluid in it when I bought it).  It seems Diesel maintenance information, especially for an older Diesel engine is scarce online, so I had to resort to paper research to find the GM Diesel Supplement defined scheduled maintenance listing for "Long Trip" use on a Suburban.  These should be considered *maximum* values, not when you start thinking about doing them.

Every 8000 km
  • Engine Oil and Filter Change (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first).
  • Chassis Lubrication (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first).  
  • Drive Axle service.

Every 16000 km
  • Tire rotation
  • Shields and Underhood Insulation Inspection.  
  • Air Intake System Inspection.  
  • Thermostatically Controlled Engine Cooling Fan Check (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first).


Every 48000 km
  • Fuel Filter Replacement


Every 80000 km
  • Automatic Transmission Service


Every 96000 km
  • Crankcase Depression Regulator Valve (CDRV) System Inspection
  • Engine Accessory Drive Belt Inspection.
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System Inspection (if equipped)


Every 240000 km
  • Cooling System Service (or every 60 months, whichever occurs first).

1 comment:

  1. no one follow this maintenance schedule but i like your post keep posting i learnd lot of new things from here

    ReplyDelete