|1999 GMC Suburban K2500 - 6.5L TurboDiesel - 4WD|
When buying a 1999 6.5L Diesel Suburban, check the following items:
- The transfer case should have fluid in it
- The front drive shaft should have power when 4WD is engaged
- The radiator should not only have pure water in it, it should be a 50/50 mix of rad fluid and water.
- The front wheel hubs should not grind when spun in the air by hand (or up on a jack)
- The inside driver door handle should work*
- The passenger side window should move up AND down*
- The ABS should work (optional)*
- The brakes should work (less optional than previous point)
- The tires should not be rubber that is so old that they are hard as rock; check the date stamps.
- The front headlights shouldn't be horribly discoloured*
- The exhaust manifold shouldn't have a hole in it.
- The post-turbo down-pipe pipe should have a gasket at the bottom to prevent exhaust from venting up into the cab.
- There should be key FOBs included with the keys*
- The locks in the doors should accept the keys without any emergency lubrication.
- The electric locks should engage and disengage ALL the locks in the doors, not just some doors.
- Check that the badging (SLT/SLE) is the same on BOTH sides of the vehicle.
- The engine / glow plugs should be able to start below -5°C ~ -10°C without being plugged in and causing too much of a fuss.
*issues I knew about prior to purchase